Kids’ Stuff Sorted + Giveaway Now Closed!
Easter Holidays are nearly here and it’s the perfect time to declutter! If you are at home for the holidays and have some time, tackle something that has been bothering you! See below for some before & after inspiration!
Decluttering kids’ toys is a great job to tackle over the Easter holidays. It can seem very overwhelming at times! But no need to worry l have outlined all the steps you need to getting those toys in order… stress-free!
- Sort: Start by sorting toys, one area at a time. I always like to start with anything on surfaces, e.g. floor, table top, etc. Sort items into categories, e.g. Lego together, animals together, etc. Don’t declutter yet! Just sort.
- Remove: Once you have sorted the whole room remove any items that should be stored elsewhere, e.g. clothes to laundry, etc.
- Declutter: Now it’s time to declutter toys that are no longer used. Separate into 3 piles… toys for: charity, to sell, to give to family or friends.
- Separate: If your kids have lots of toys, l suggest setting up a ‘toy rotation’ system. By ‘toy rotation’ l simply mean storing 50% of toys and rotating them every couple of months. This will keep the kids interested and the room will be easier to keep organised! You will need a couple of storage tubs for this. Store 50% of toys and label tubs with the date.
- Store: Store, out of reach, toys that need parental supervision… craft, etc.
- Keepsake: Store any toys that you would like to keep for memorabilia. Store in a separate storage tub and label.
- Clean: Now it’s time to clean the space… wipe down all surfaces.
- Organise: Put away all remaining toys, keeping ‘like’ items together, e.g. soft toys together, dinosaurs together, etc. I suggest separating into separate storage tubs and labelling. You can then teach kids to put away their own toys. Finish up with a good vacuum.
- Tips: 1. It’s not always possible but l suggest decluttering kids’ toys while the kids are out of the house! It will make it so much easier. 2. Take regular breaks if you are becoming overwhelmed. Decluttering takes times and can be quite emotional. 3. If you are finding it hard to make decisions, ask yourself… Is this item still useful? Do they still need it? Do they love it? Hopefully this will answer your question!
Happy organising! Don’t forget to enter the Brikbag Giveaway below!
- Step 1: Fill in the blanks… “I deserve to WIN the Brikbag because _______________ .” (answer in 25 words or less)
- Step 2: Email your answer to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your full name, mailing address and contact phone number.
- Step 3: Email your entry by Wednesday the 3rd of April at 6pm. The winner will be announced on Facebook on Friday the 5th of April.
Declutterhome, Professional Organiser
Graphic Design: Tanya Lea, Declutterhome. Photography by Tanya Lea. Product images via Brikbag.