some tips on how to organise your pantry
WHEN DID YOU LAST DECLUTTER THE PANTRY?
Ok, let’s have a look. Open the pantry door… Now, would you be embarrassed if a visitor opened it? Yes? Well, it’s time to declutter!
I do a pantry declutter maybe, every 3 months and usually only takes 1/2 hour. It’s going to take you longer if you haven’t done it in a while. So block out so time in your day to get it done. Staying organised is definitely about doing a little bit here and there. It’s like exercise, if you never do it you will get fat and it will be extra hard to lose weight. If you never declutter it will feel like an enormous job!
STEPS TO ORGANISING YOUR PANTRY:
- Remove everything!
- As you remove everything sort items into categories… ‘like’ items together. E.g. Pasta together, cereal together etc.
- Clean pantry surfaces.
- Throw out any over-due food items.
- Write a shopping list for items you need to replace.
- Throw out any damaged storage containers.
- Remove things that should be stored elsewhere. E.g. Light globes etc.
- Transfer the contents of open food packets into containers and label. I love the Décor brand for storage containers… The containers stack, product is reasonably priced, it’s hard wearing and they come with labels. You can also use Ikea sealing clips to seal open packets.
- Now, it’s time to put everything away. Store everyday food where you can access it easily. Treats for kids, up high out of reach! Keep everything in categories. E.g. Pasta together, cereal together.
- Keep small ‘like’ items together in a large storage container with a handle for easy access. E.g. Spices go in one container labelled spices. I like the Howards Storage ‘Caddy’ organiser and the ‘Storage’ basket, as well as the Ikea ‘Rationell’ containers in white.
SOME MORE TIPS…
- Now that job is done write a declutter reminder in your diary for 3 months time. Keep on top of your clutter or it will turn into a big, scary job!
- Use storage containers that stack to make better use of space.
- Label all containers with the contents name and the used by date.
- Check the pantry before you go shopping… there’s no point buying more canned tuna when you already have 10 tins!
Declutterhome, Professional Organiser